Top Things To Do in Berlin: A Guide for Newcomers
Berlin is one of the most exciting cities in Europe. With its bustling nightlife, cultural hotspots, and buzzing food scene, it's no wonder so many people want to visit this beautiful city in Germany.
Here are our recommendations for the top things to do in Berlin:
Berlin's Top 23 Things To Do
1. Take a walk around the Unter den Linden and explore the Brandenburg Gate, a UNESCO World Heritage site.
2. Visit the Reichstag, a historic building located in Berlin that houses the German Parliament. It's also the site where the German Chancellor delivers his/her yearly "State of the Union" address. Take in the views of both the parliament building and nearby Berlin Cathedral!
3. Explore East Berlin's old town with its historic buildings, cobblestone streets, and market square.
4. Have a drink at one of Berlin's many celebrated beer gardens: Salvat or The Mauerpark are two great places to start your search.
5. Take a walk down the scenic Potsdamer Platz and see the Sony Center and the iconic Quadriga statue.
6. Watch a play at the famous Berliner Ensemble or enjoy a concert at Konzerthaus Berlin.
7. Go on a tour of Checkpoint Charlie, one of Berlin's most historic sites, or visit one of the many museums including Museum Island, one of Europe's largest cultural complexes.
8. Enjoy some shopping at some of Berlin's most popular stores: KaDeWe (KaDeWe is not just a department store but also home to an ice rink in winter), C&A, or Karstadt (Berlin's biggest department store). Or explore some local markets such as Mauerpark Flea Market or Boxhagener Platz Market, where you can find anything from fresh produce to clothes and antiques.
9. Go on an adventure with friends in one of Berlin's many walking tours.
10. Check out the nightlife at one of the city's most popular clubs: Berghain, Watergate, or Die Welt (Berlin's biggest club). Or visit one of Berlin's many bars and pubs.
11. Take a trip across Berlin in a car: Drive along the River Spree or take a ferry to the island of Spandau and see its beautiful castle.
12. Visit Tempelhof Airport, Europe's largest airport that was once used by many famous musicians including The Beatles in the sixties. Or go on a tour of the former East Berlin with its communist architecture and visit Potsdamer Platz with its famous shops, monuments and square - which is also where you will find Checkpoint Charlie, Europe's most famous border crossing between East and West Berlin from 1961 to 1989 - after which it was closed for good.
13. Go on a guided tour to learn about German history and culture at Stasi Prison, where many famous people have been imprisoned including the German chancellor Willy Brandt and his wife, who was held there for 18 months.
14. Visit the GDR Museum in the former East Berlin to learn more about the former communist regime.
15. Attend a Berlin Bike Tour
One of the coolest things to do in Berlin is a bike tour. These tours are free, fun, and informative. You'll get to see all the main attractions throughout the city while learning about its history and culture along the way. It's a great way to explore the city!
16. Visit Museum Island
Museum Island is an area of Berlin that's home to over 25 museums. This spot is also very popular with locals and tourists alike, so you can expect crowds during the summer months. You can visit any museum on this island, or walk around and check out all of them!
17. Get Lost in Kreuzberg
Kreuzberg is one of Berlin’s most colorful neighborhoods where you'll find many cafes, pubs, clubs, and galleries lined with graffiti murals of famous artists from around the world. This neighborhood has some really cool street art that not many other places have in Berlin
18. Get a Drink at Stadt der Kunst (City of Art)
If you're looking for a new place to hang out in Berlin, head over to Stadt der Kunst (City of Art). Here you'll find tons of bars and restaurants where you can enjoy being surrounded by art as well as live music performances throughout the day!
19. Watch a Movie at Neue Kammerspiele (New Stage)
This theater used to be one of Germany's most famous prisons, but has been converted into a venue for plays, concerts and film screenings. It's also the perfect spot to grab a beer and watch a movie!
20. Visit the Topography of Terror
The Topography of Terror is an open-air museum and memorial that commemorates the victims of Nazi persecution, terror and violence. It's located near the site of the former headquarters of the secret police (Gestapo) on Prinz-Albrecht-Strasse and was built in response to Germany's failure to come to terms with its Nazi past.
21. Take a Tour of Berlin Wall Memorials
If you want to learn more about the Berlin Wall, then you should definitely take a tour! The East Side Gallery is one of many memorials that you can visit while walking along the former Death Strip (a branch of the wall). If you're up for it, there are several other memorials that are further away from each other.
22. Check Out Neues Museum
The Neues Museum is a museum in Berlin that was built over 100 years ago, but has recently been renovated. It features exhibits from the ancient world and one of its most famous pieces is a giant statue of Ramses II!
23. Have Dinner at Kauf Dich Glücklich (In English: Buy Yourself Lucky)
Kauf Dich Glücklich is an eclectic restaurant that serves everything from traditional German food to Asian dishes and pizza. Their menu changes seasonally and they have special events every week, so you'll never be bored!
Now you're ready to see the top things in Berlin. I hope you have a wonderful trip and don't forget to let me know your thoughts in the comments below.